I-20 & Visa

The I-20 is an important immigration document that you must present to the American Consulate or Embassy in your home country to obtain an F-1 student visa before coming to the United States.

  • Students qualify for an I-20 through full-time enrollment in the Intensive English Program.
  • The Tutorium’s Intensive English Program issues the I-20 in 3-5 days.  Same-day service may be possible.

Instructions for Receiving an I-20

Start your application.

Open our online application form

  • Under Program, select “Intensive English Program”
  • You will need to complete this application form in one sitting in order to submit it. We recommend reviewing the form in advance in order to collect the information that you need to submit.

Include in your application:

  • a copy of your passport
  • a bank letter
  • if you have a sponsor, the Affidavit of Support

Note: You can upload these documents after submission.

If you need to have your I-20 as soon as possible:

You can pay to have your I-20 sent by express mail.

Application Deadline

  • Applications from students travelling from overseas should be received 4-6 weeks before the start of the session.
  • Applications from within the United States, or for online study, should be received one week before the start of the session.
  • Contact tutorium@uic.edu for the latest deadline information.

Proof of Financial Support for I-20

You must submit proof of financial support to apply to our Intensive English Program, and to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate when applying for the F-1 student visa.

  • Immigration regulations require that all students show they have enough funds for the estimated expenses for one session in our Intensive English Program.
  • All students must show a minimum of “Total Estimated Expenses for One Session” (listed below) in their financial support documents, no matter where they live or where they get their health insurance.

Estimated Expenses for One Session

Expense Cost for One Session
Full-time Tuition $5,900
Living Expenses $6,540
Health Insurance $550
Textbooks $175
Total Estimated Expenses $13,165

Required Documents for Showing Proof of Financial Support

Applicants must show proof of financial support in one of the following ways:

Student or Sponsor* Funds

Provide a bank letter on official bank letterhead with authentic signatures and official bank stamp (Original, email, fax or upload to student application is accepted).  Example of an acceptable bank letter

  • The amount available must be no less than the Total Estimated Expenses for One Session (listed above).
  • The letter can show the amount in U.S. dollars or the equivalent of this amount in any other currency.
  • The letter must include the name of the account holder.
  • The letter must show the type of bank account (such as “savings,” “checking” or “current account”).
  • The account funds must be an accessible source of money by the start of classes. It cannot be a business account.
  • The letter must include a date of issue.
    • This letter must be no older than 6 months when we receive your application.
  • If the letter is not in English, a translation must be attached.

Applicants should also obtain an original bank letter to submit to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate when applying for the F-1 student visa.

*If Using Sponsor Funds, submit:

Scholarship or Other Institutional Support

  • Submit an official letter from the sponsoring organization that states the specific amount of funds granted.